Here’s a new gospel, given to me by the one true god.
1. You humans have finally developed enough for me to reveal myself to you.
2. I’m actually not the only god. There are lots of others like me, but they have absolutely no involvement in your universe.
3. All the thousands of other gods worshiped now and throughout human history are false, being nothing more than human inventions.
4. I caused the Big Bang about 14 billion years ago, and then left things totally alone to happen as they may, according to the natural laws of the universe. I know a lot of you want to know how I did it, but I’m not going to tell you. You’ll probably figure it out eventually.
5. Life began autonomously on earth, and on millions of other planets throughout the cosmos. The origination of life on any given planet is pretty unlikely, but I made the universe big enough, (with over a trillion trillion planets so far), that the development of life on numerous planets was a statistical certainty. Earth just happens to be one of them, due to nothing more than random luck.
6. Once life began, it evolved naturally into the wide diversity and complexity you have today… and that includes humanity.
7. Mankind is not the culmination of all of creation. You’re really nothing special. There are far more advanced (and better behaved) species on other planets. And over the coming billions of years, the humanity of today’s earth will be forgotten, having long since evolved into various species that you can’t even imagine today.
8. There’s no afterlife for mankind. You live for a while, and then you’ll die. Period. But don’t get upset about it – Nothing is forever … well, except for me.
9. I don’t care what individual humans do with their lives. Every person has to figure that out for themselves. But I’ll offer just a few words of friendly advice, which you can take or leave as each of you sees fit:
A. Try to enjoy your life for the short time you’re on earth.
B. Don’t look to me for your purpose. Like I said, I don’t really care. Each of you has the freedom to decide your own purpose and meaning.
C. Try to help other humans when and where you can. For better or worse, you’re all in the same boat.
D. You don’t need religion. As I said, none of your gods are real. I am, but I have no need or desire to be worshipped. And there’s nothing in it for you anyway. I’m not going to intervene in your lives, I don’t want to be your friend, and (as I also said) there’s no afterlife.
E. Stop acting like your national boundaries are a big deal. You’ll all be a lot happier when you realize that you are one people and one planet.
F. Take care of your planet. It’s the only one you’ve got (so far) and you won’t survive if you turn it into a wasteland.